Bulmers History, Topography and Directory for 1895 describes a Whittington with a still increasing population but with many amenites to serve the residents. The three parishes of Old, New and Whittington Moor had a population of 8798 in 1891. The population of Old and New Whittington and Sheepbridge was 6388
The following are extracts taken from Bulmers for 1895.
“The parish is in the hundred of Scarsdale, petty sessional division, county court district, and poor law union of Chesterfield, deanery of Dronfield and forms a division for the election of a county councillor. An urban council has taken the place of the local board. There are nine members, three for each of the three wards into which the parish was divided when the local board was formed.”
The urban district councillors for Old Whittington Ward in 1895 were:
Enoch Bell – who was the schoolmaster, John Henry Green and George William Skidmore.
Guardian for Old Whittington was Miss Mary Swanwick.
The Directory then goes on to explain how and why the parish of Whittington grew.
“The parish owes its prosperity to the abundance of coal and iron ore in the district. Extensive works for the manufacture of iron and steel were erected by Messrs. Firth and Sons in 1857, and the village of New Whittington sprang up for the accomodation of the employees; and the following year the Sheepbridge Iron Works, (now the property of Sheepbridge Coal and Iron Co. Ltd) were established. The former works were closed in 1887. the latter company has eight blast furnaces and two rolling mill. The Albion Pottery of Messrs Thos. Taylor and Son also gives employment to a considerable number of hands; and bricks are extensively manufactured at Brierley Bridge.”
Bulmers Directory also tells the history of the how the local schools were founded:
“The earliest provision for educational purposes was left two centuries ago by Peter and Joshua Webster, who devised lands and messuages for the maintenance of a schoolmaster to teach freely a certain number of poor scholars. The school charity and estate are under the management of five governors, in whom also the various local charities have been vested by the Charity Commissioners. A new school was built in 1850, and subsequently enlarged to accommodate 450 children. There are two departments, mixed and infants, and an average attendance of 450. Schools have also been erected at New Whittington and Whittington Moor, each having two departments, mixed and infants. Evening continuation schools are held in the winter months, and are amongst the best attended in the county.”
The Governors of Websters Whittington School, Charity and Estates were:
Henry Thos. Twelves – Chairman
Johnson Pearson Esq.
Dr. A M Palmer
W. D.Holford Esq.
John James Creed – Clerk
By 1895 there was a library at Old Whittington, open on Thursday’s between 6-7. The librarian was Joseph Matchett.
Station master at Sheepbridge station was Timothy Sanders.
There was a Gas Works at the bottom of Whittington Hill (Whittington Gas Co. Ltd) and this was managed by Henry Herbert Everest.
The Rector at St Bartholomews (since 1892) was Rev. John Tomlinson.
Verger – William Hand
Sexton – George Baker
Parish Clerk – H T Twelves
The number of private residents listed for Old Whittington has grown and the list now includes business owners as well.
The pages of Old Whittington Trades and Professions show just how the size of the population has increased and the services required has increased accordingly. The Brushes is now mentioned and had several businesses listed. What is surprising is the number of farmers in Old Whittington,the names of some of the long gone farms are now the names of roads, Bower Farm Road, Compass Crescent.
What is also emerging are the names of Old Whittington residents that are getting quite familiar – Eveleigh, Mettam, Syddall, Booth, Green, Palmer, Bargh and Fletcher to name but a few.
ACADEMIES AND SCHOOLS
CROOKES Miss Caroline S
Day and Boarding
WEBSTERS ENDOWED SCHOOL
Fred Robinson head mstr
F B Earle CM Asst Mstr
Mrs Robinson CM sewing mistress
Miss Hannah Jackson Head Mistress
Miss Florence Clarke CM Asst mistress
Priestley Henry Brierley Bridge: h 113 Sheffield Rd
BAKERS AND CONFECTIONERS
Taylor Wm. 40 Fowler St
Booth Walter, White Horse
Syddall Joseph High St
BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS
104 Sheffield Rd
Stubbins Jas. 32 Whittington Hill
Gaunt Frank 47 High Street
Locke Chas. Albt. Church St
Randall Wm. 13 Prospect Rd
Redfern Frank; h Barlow Grange
Shemwell W T Prospect Rd
West Tom 110 Sheffield Rd
To Chesterfield (Sat) George Mettam
Bargh Samuel 54 High St
Cundy John Spring House
Durham Geo. Compass Farm
Green John Henry Holly Hs
Green Joseph The Green
Hand William Bowers Farm
Hoyle John William
Jenkinson Henry Church St
Johnson William Edward Brierley Bridge
Mason Alfred Broom Cottage
Smith John Church Street and at Brimington
Thorpe William High Street
Twigg Mrs Sarah
30 Broomhill Lane
Bailey Mrs Lucy (and beer retailer) 7 Prospect Rd
Chapman William (and beer retailer) 40 Whittington Hill
Cooke Alfred Joseph (& beer merchant) Church Street
Lloyd Geo. Wilson (and beer retailer) The Brushes
Lowe Frank ( & yeast merchant)
102 Whittington Hill
Lowe John Church Street
Mills George 38 High Street
Mitchell W 27 Prospect Rd
Pendleton Mrs Mary Ann
99 Sheffield Road
Shemwell William Thomas (&beer retailer) Prospect Rd
Skidmore G W Sheffield Rd
Thompson Jonathan, senr, 66 Holland road
Thorpe John 43 High Street
Vickers Wm. ( & post office)
Worne Aaron Holland Road
HOTELS INN AND TAVERNS
BULLS HEAD Herbert Stead
COCK AND MAGPIE (Revolution House) Wm Meakin
PHEASANT INN (The Brushes) Mrs Grace Pearson
POPLAR HOTEL Joseph Hall
RAILWAY INN (The Brushes) Richard Hardwick Hallam
SHEEPBRIDGE HOTEL James Mosley
WHITE HORSE Sam Renshaw
INSURANCE OFFICES AND AGENTS
BRITISH WORKMANS’ Herbt Gabitass The Brushes
LOND.EDIN AND GLASGOW Saml. Portman The Brushes
PRUDENTIAL Holmes George
11 Whittington Hill
JOINERS AND BUILDERS
Fletcher Edgar Bargh
Gilberthorpe H 10 Victoria Rd and at New Whittington
PHYSICIANS & SURGEONS
Palmer AM MRCS Eng LRCP Ed The Poplars
Senior George (earthenware) Barker Pottery Brampton
Beard James 32 High Street
Birkbeck Jno. 19 Prospect Road
Carrington George (and beer retailer) 12 Whittington Hill
Doe Thomas 54 Holland Road
Eveleigh John 36 Holland Road
Fairchild G. 108 Sheffield Road
Fairchild J. 111 Sheffield Road
Fielding John Holland Road
Henkin George The Brushes
Mettam Mrs M. 94 Church Street
Portman Saml. The Brushes
Priestley Hy. 113 Sheffield Road
Street Joshua William St
Thompson Jonathan Junr.
(& yeast merchant) 26 Broomhill Lane
Green John Henry Holly Hs
Fletcher Edgar B.
Bulmers North- Eastern Derbyshire 1895 does have the information for New Whittington and Whittington Moor and can be read at