Pigots Directory 1829-1829

PIGOT AND CO’S NATIONAL COMMERCIAL DIRECTORY

1828-1829

(J PIGOT AND CO.)

(Whittington was included within Chesterfield’s entry in this edition)

WHITTINGTON – about three miles from Chesterfield, although but a small village, is one to which some note is attached, as having been the place where the Earl of Danby, the Duke of Devonshire and Sir John D’Arcy assembled to concert measures for effecting the revolution of 1688; the Cock and Magpie public house was the place where they finished their deliberations and there is a house still bearing that sign now in the village. On Whittington Moor are stone-ware works of Mr Aaron Madin and others. The parish contained, in 1821, about 700 inhabitants.

 SURNAMEGIVEN NAMETITLE PLACE/PARISH 
       
NOBILITY AND CLERGY      
 DixonHenEsq. Whittington Lodge 
 GordonGeorgeRev. Whittington 
 MayCharles HenryEsq. Whittington Cottage 
 RobinsonRobertRev. Whittington 
ACADEMIES AND SCHOOL      
 BromheadRobertRev.Gents BoardingWhittington 
AGENTS      
 GlossopGeorge & Land SurveyorWhittington 
BLACKSMITHS      
 BanksThomas  Whittington 
 ThorpJohn  Whittington 
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS      
 CartwrightJames  Whittington 
 CartwrightThos  Whittington 
 

 

BUTCHERS

      
 BrownSamuel  Whittington 
CORN MILLERS      
 CundyJohn  Whittington 
 KnowlesMary  Whittington 
 ThorpJoseph  Whittington 
GROCERS AND TEA DEALERS      
 CookeRichard  Whittington 
 ThorpJohn  Whittington 
TAILORS      
 BestwickGeorge  Whittington 
 ShacklesFrancis  Whittington 
TANNERS      
 BruntThomas  Whittington 
TAVERNS AND PUBLIC HOUSES      
 CookeJn. Bulls HeadWhittington 
 MellamWilliam Cock and MagpieWhittington 
 BowerGeorge Square and CompassWhittington 
 MettamDorothy White HorseWhittington 
WHEELWRIGHTS      
 CookeJohn  Whittington 
 SiddallJohn  Whittington 

In 1828-1829 the traders were more to serve the rural community of Whittington, not many grocers or shopkeepers were required to serve the small number of inhabitants in Whittington at that time.