WHITTINGTON as described in :

History of Chesterfield (Whittaker and Co) 1839 (reference to Rev. George Hall’s work of 1822)

“In the survey of Domesday, Whittington is described as a hamlet of Newbold. The paramount manor, which had been in the Peverils, was granted by King John to William Briwere, from whose family it passed to the Wakes. The Boythorpes,and after them successively the Bretons and Foljambes, appear to have held under the families before-mentioned as mesne lords; but the immediate possession was from an early period in the family of Whittington, whose heiress married Dethick. Geoffrey Dethick was seised of the manor as early as the year 1320. A co-heiress of Dethick brought it, about the year 1488, to the Poles, who held under Foljambe. George Pole had two daughters, co-heirs, who, towards the latter part of the seventeenth century, brough this manor in moieties to Frith and Chaworth. Frith’s moiety passed by marriage to Sir Charles Sedley, who sold to Gillett. The late Mr Richard Gillett, of Chesterfield, sold this moiety in or about 1813, to Mr John Dixon; and it is now the property of his great nephew, Henry Dixon Esq. The Chaworth family possessed three fourths of the other moiety in 1769: this portion passed afterwards to the family of Launder, and having been since purchased by Mr John Dixon, is now the property of his great nephew above-mentioned, who is possessed of seven eighths of the manor. The remaining eighth belongs to the children of the late Samuel Hinde, who inherited one sixteenth, and acquired one sixteenth by purchase”.

Tithe maps of 1820’s showing Whittington landowners (Maps courtesy of Derbyshire Record Office)
%d bloggers like this: