The General and Commercial Directory and Topography of the Borough of Sheffield contains information on all towns, parishes, villages and hamlets within a circuit of twenty miles. Consequently many villages around North Derbyshire are included in the Directory. It was produced by Francis White and Co. Broomhall Terrace Ecclesall New Road Sheffield.
As can be seen from the trade directory Whittington has now been divided into Old, New and Moor.
The population had increased quite dramatically from 874 in 1851 to 2839 in 1861. This was due in the most part to people coming to the Whittington area for work. By 1861 the Dunstan and Barlow Company had opened Sheepbridge Iron Works, which belonged to Messrs Fowler and Co., and at New Whittington, in 1857, Messrs Thos Firth and Sons opened their iron and steel works. Public houses and shops had sprung up to serve the community.